Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Turns Out -11 Degrees Can Be Quite Wonderful

Due to frigid temps, schools all across the state have been canceled.  And not just today, tomorrow too. 

Happiness.


Due to the frigid temps, not a single person in our home got out of their Jammies today.

More happiness.

Due to frigid temps we all ate, watched TV, ate, took in a few movies, ate, played Lego's, ate, read, ate, stayed under blankets, and ate. 

Oh! The happiness!  It is uncontainable!

And just so we're clear, I wasn't the only one who was happy.  Oh, no!  Both children were beside themselves.  I thought the roof  was going to blow clean off the house when the phone calls/emails came pouring in last night canceling school and all events for the next few days.  The hooting and hollering and all around merriment about caused the house to explode. 

It was a happy time.

It made me think, maybe I'm not the only one who needs a break?  Maybe we all feel a little bit busy?

Whatever it is, the rest is very much appreciated by all. 

Which brings me to my next topic.  Have you heard about this idea about picking one word to describe what your focus will be for the year?  I heard about it last year, and found it totally fascinating.  Also, because I am a person of such few words, *ahem* a little bit challenging.  But in a good way.  So I tried it.  Last year, I chose the word "Others", and I can say, while I still could use a TON of work in this area, I feel like God really changed my view on thinking of others rather than myself.  I became much more aware of others needs, and in general became much more "Others-Focused". 

This year, I am going to do it again.  I really feel like God is trying to teach me about being still this year.  I don't know if you have noticed, but lately I have been a little bit obsessed with finding/getting some rest.  Also, I have found that sitting, being patient, and just waiting in general are not my strong suits.  No, in fact The Hubs teases me because he thinks I am always just trying to find a way to make myself busy.   So this year, my word will be "Still".   Interestingly enough, God has really been pointing me to a lot of verses, as of late, that have to do with being still or with waiting on Him, and the benefits stillness reaps. 

Speaking of verses, (oh, I am the queen of segues tonight!) it is time for me to pick my third memory verse of the year.  If you want to know the other verses that are now sown into my heart, see them here and here.  This month, with some difficult circumstances facing our family, I would like to focus on the truth that God is always with us, and not only is He with us, He is mighty to save us.  Here is Isaiah 43:1-3a NLT:

1 "But now, O Jacob, listen to the Lord who created you.
      O Israel, the one who formed you says,
   “Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you.
      I have called you by name; you are mine.
 2 When you go through deep waters,
      I will be with you.
   When you go through rivers of difficulty,
      you will not drown.
   When you walk through the fire of oppression,
      you will not be burned up;
      the flames will not consume you.
 3 For I am the Lord, your God,
      the Holy One of Israel, your Savior." --Is 43:1-3a NLT

Seems too good to be true, doesn't it?  I don't know, when I read this today, I felt a wave of relief wash over my whole body.  It was like I could breath again.  I just can't get enough of the way God reaches into the depths of my heart with His word.  Amazing.

I am a little intimidated by how long it is, but I couldn't figure out a way to trim it down.  It was all way too good.  I figured the Lord allowed me to  memorized Philippians 4:6-8, so let's keep it going.  I did have a hard time deciding if I was going to use the NLT or the Message for this.  Check out  how beautiful the Message says these same verses:

"But now, God's Message, the God who made you in the first place, Jacob,
   the One who got you started, Israel:
"Don't be afraid, I've redeemed you.
   I've called your name. You're mine.
When you're in over your head, I'll be there with you.
   When you're in rough waters, you will not go down.
When you're between a rock and a hard place,
   it won't be a dead end—
Because I am God, your personal God,
   The Holy of Israel, your Savior."
Isaiah 43:1-3a The Message

So good.

With as much as the other two verses have helped my heart, I cannot wait to see how God uses these verses.

Now, it's time to get to some warm brownies. 

1 comment:

~she~ said...

Love the new layout!

Enjoy your second snow day! It's much worse here today than yesterday. We're on our second snow day too.