Thursday, May 26, 2011

Some Girly Girls Hate Pink

Recently, The Girl revealed to me that she hates pink. 

I was surprised.

She rarely complains about things such as these.  Clothing, colors, decor, shopping, and anything fashion or style related are not her bag.  At almost eight and a half years of age, she still asks me to dress her (not literally, but she wants me to pick out all her clothing, including socks and shoes) everyday.  Thank goodness she goes to a school where they are required to wear a uniform.  On a recent shopping trip, I was showing off a few things on the rack.  I was hoping she would give me some input on what she would like to wear, and was thinking it would be a time to catch up on her likes and dislikes.  Also, I don't have the faintest idea on how to dress an eight year old girl.  So, the fact that she relies on me to dress her each day is quite ironic. 

(Little girls are easy.  They wear dresses or super cutesy outfits, or play clothing (read: sweat pants and t-shirts).  At age eight, I don't think that flies anymore.  However, other clothing seems a bit, well, too old, too flashy, or down right wrong for a little girl.)

So in an attempt to help her feel like she looks cool and fits in, I was hoping she would share with me what she would like to wear based off of what she sees her friends wearing. 

This would require that she notices what her friends wear.

Guess what? She doesn't.

And she doesn't give a rip either.

However, when I held up a shirt, just plain and simple, in a hot pink, she said, "NO WAY!"

Shocked by her actually having an opinion, I asked why.

"It's pink, mom.  I'm not really a pink kind of girl."

Really?

Really.

I started thinking about what a "Pink kind of girl" is.  And then I was thinking about who my girl is.

You know what? She's not really a pink sort of girl.

But it's not as easy as saying she's more of a tomboy type.  No, she's still girly...in her own way.

She is super nurturing, and loves to take care of stuff.  Stuff like bugs, worms, and animals (as long as she can get into to the dirt she's pretty happy).  She is one heck of a bug mom.  This past winter and spring, she kept a Ladybug like a pet in our garage.  She was constantly checking on her, caring for her, and making sure her every need was met.  I honestly didn't know it was possible for a bug to live that long in a plastic tube.

While she loves bugs, dirt, and climbing trees, she doesn't lean all the way into the traditional tomboy role either because she totally draws the line on things like sports, video games, or any sort of competition.  Instead, she would prefer to read or do some sort of art or craft.

She likes dresses, but only if she can wear bike shorts underneath so she can still play on the monkey bars.

She likes to play in make-up, but leans towards the punk rock look.

And today, I was reminded that while she LOVES pedicures and having her nails done, NEVER, and I really mean never (in case the all capital letters were not clear enough) has she ever chosen pink, red, rose or any color slightly resembling a traditional nail polish color.  Today's pick:



















I love everything about that girl.

No comments: