Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thankfulness Wrap-Up

To wrap up my "Month of Thanks", I think I will just list off a few things I've been thankful for the past two days, and then have some final thoughts.

(Why I felt the need to explain that, I have no clue.)

I am thankful for:

1) The fact that today is my parent's 39th wedding anniversary (Happy anniversary, Mom and Dad!).  I am so thankful for the blessing of their marriage.  I have come to a new appreciation for the commitment, selflessness, and work it takes to be married for any length of time.   I am very thankful for the example they have given not only my sisters and I, but also the next generation of our family.  It's a real gift, and I am thankful.

2) The Little man never letting me down when it comes to making me laugh.  Yesterday, after discussing the next big Kindergarten unit at school, Kindergarten Economics, he announced that his dream job when he got older was to be a Game Show Announcer. 

I have no clue.

Since he was dead serious, and after a few questions I discovered he also knew exactly what he was talking about,  I just tried to do my best to not burst out laughing.  I think there was also a moment when he actually suggested that, "Someday the guy who's on Wheel of Fortune might want to take a break".  The Hubs was also dead serious when he said, "I just hope that's something he grows out of.".  Which was also outrageously funny to me. 

Honey, if you are reading this, I think we're safe.

Oh, laughter, I am thankful for you!

3) The gorgeous weather I was able to soak up today, especially knowing that tomorrow will be a day full of snow and cold.

4) Having a great conversation with two of my sisters in the last two days.  I am so thankful that, as adults, we choose to be each others friends and support.

5) Running into a friend at the library.  Through catching up on each other, she spoke truth and life to me, and I to her.  Each one of us unknowingly.  I am so thankful for the Holy Spirit and the way he leads, councils, and encourages.

Lastly, and at the risk of sounding corny, I am so thankful for this "Month of Thankfulness".  I will confess that at the beginning of the month I thought I needed a little help with my attitude, and as a traditionalist, since I had done this before felt almost obliged to do it again.  However, through the month I have been convicted over and over again of my lack of thankfulness and gratitude.  I had let the sin of complaint, feeling sorry for myself, and over all joylessness creep into my heart and take up residence.  I have allowed myself to believe that it was OK to do these things because of circumstances that have surrounded our family for this past year.

Finding things to be thankful for each day has put me into a better position to draw nearer to my Lord.  I cannot believe some of the ways He has gently and loving spoken to my heart this past month, through my morning devotional, about my sin.  He has opened up my eyes not only to the problem in my heart, but also to the freedom only He can offer me.  The freedom of being joyful and thankful in any and all circumstances.  Thankful that my life is perfectly planned out by a loving Father with eternal perspective.  That each thing He chooses for me, He chooses out of love.  Thankful that I have a Father who does not compromise.  Even when that means I have a difficult road to travel at times.  These are things worthy of praise and thanksgiving.  I love the way Sarah Young's devotional Jesus Calling kind of wrapped up my month yesterday when she wrote (from the perspective of Jesus speaking to me):

"...However, I have taken you along a path that has highlighted your need for Me: placing you in situations where your strengths were irrelevant and your weaknesses were glaringly evident.  Through the aridity of those desert marches, I have drawn you closer and closer to Myself.  You have discovered flowers of Peace blossoming in the most desolate places.  You have learned to thank Me for hard times and difficult journeys, trusting that through them I accomplish My best work.  You have realized that needing Me is the key to knowing Me intimately, which is the gift above all gifts."

And that is how I would wrap up this month.  God is most certainly working on my heart in the area of thankfulness in all circumstances.  It's hard work.  Painful work at times.  But I know that He is faithful finish the work He has started (Phil. 1:6), that he will never leave me nor forsake me (Deut. 31:6), and that nothing will seperate me from His love (Rom 8:38).

I can be thankful for those things 365 days a year.

No comments: