Thursday, December 1, 2011

It's Time for Advent!

I cannot believe today is the first day of December!  Where did this year go?

As we have been slowly getting ready for Christmas since October, thanks to many stores decorating well before Halloween has even gotten here, my mind has been really struggling with doing something different.  I feel like sometimes, with wanting to keep up with tradition, even though I want to/intend to really focus our family on Christ, giving, and servant-hood, each and every year we get wrapped back up into going, doing, and buying for ourselves. 

Meanwhile, the entire time I'm constantly telling the kids, "Christmas is a time for giving, not receiving."   And they're all, "We know, Mom!" as they roll their eyes.  Not because they don't want to give, but because I say it all. The. Time.  Why?  Because I feel like I have to overcompensate in telling them because we lack in the DOING.  I am hoping that by saying it over and over and over, that somehow it will get into their minds and hopefully their hearts. 

What I have been missing is the doing.  That's how we learn.  When we do, it becomes a part of us, and we remember how it felt.  So, this year instead of hoping it will be different, it will be different.  Instead of talking about it, we're going to do it!

This year, inside of our advent calendar, instead of having chocolates, small gifts, or an idea for a Christmas/winter craft or activity with the family, the kids will find instructions for doing a Random Act of Kindness.  A way to give to someone else.  This Christmas as we talk about how we celebrate the gift of God's Son to us by giving gifts to others, we are actually going to give gifts to others all Advent long.

Thankfully, I'm not the one who invented the wheel on this one!  There are many blogs/articles/TV shows/books out there that talk about Random Acts of Kindness and giving to others.  So instead of re-inventing the wheel, we are totally using the wheel...and taking it apart a little...and rebuilding it as our own. 

Truth be told, I am totally overwhelmed by the amount of effort that serving others each day of this Advent season (which is usually the busiest time of the year) that this is going to take.  However, I recognize that when things are hard, they are totally worth it.  Will this mean we get to do all the other things we used to do before Christmas?  You know, the other stuff that kept us busy.  Maybe.  But maybe we'll have to say "no" to some things too.   That's OK.  I am sure that what we are doing instead, will be totally worth it.   Also, I am already seeing God's hand in this. 

First, the kids are super, super excited.  They've been counting down to advent since I told them what we were doing over a week ago.  That right there is motivation for me, as well as evidence that they too are ready to live out their faith and put some action to words already!  Secondly, as I have been feeling overwhelmed about staying organized and making sure I leave enough time for each activity and the prep for each activity, God has really opened doors, made time, and even made financial provisions for some of the gifts planned.  Since this is only the first day, I can't wait to see all He does in the next 24 days.  And I can't wait to see the kids see all He can do, either.

I don't know if I'll be able to blog each and every day.  Actually, I know I WON'T be blogging our adventures each and everyday.  Remember: there will be somethings I will have to say "no" to.  But, each time I come here, I will try to update the best that I can.  I really want to photograph and write about each and every thing, word, and emotion.  However, I also must recognize that I am not doing this for us.   No, this is for others. 

So, what about today?  Today we went through some of the coupon books that we had purchased in support of some high school sport teams.   It kills me that so many of them expire and never get used, either because I forget I have them or because we don't go to those restaurants or shops.  One particular coupon book had some pretty great coupons.  I mean these coupons where for like $10 and $15 off with no minimum purchase required.  That's like a gift card in my world.  So, instead of letting them go to waste, we gave them out.  Tonight, at around dinner time, we parked outside of each place and waited for someone to go inside.  As they did, the kids got out and asked if they would like a coupon for their meal.  Of course, people were totally excited to have a coupon.  When they saw how much it was for, they were a little taken aback.  Some asked, "Are you sure you are not going to use it?"  others asked, "Why? What do I have to do?"  Both kids were excited to say, "It's yours for nothing!"  Thankfully, the recipients were very gracious and kind, which was very encouraging to both kids.  They both got back into the car excited about helping someone out, and very excited about what was waiting for them in the advent calendar tomorrow.

Here they are, ready with coupons!


Here's a list of what will be up to this month:
1. Pass out coupons at a local restaurant or shop.
2. Put change for a drink in a Ziploc bag and tape it to a couple of vending machines with a special note.
3. Make Christmas treats for our local firehouse.

5.  Bring colors and color books to local hospital waiting rooms.
6. Pass out coupons at a local restaurant or shop.
7. Hide dollar bills on different products/toys at the dollar shop in our area.
8. Leave a treat and note of thanks for our mailman in the mailbox.
9. Collect and put away carts in a shopping center parking lot.
10. Clean out toy room and donate toys to local toy charity.
11. Pass out coupons at a local restaurant or shop.
12. Treats and note of appreciation to our school secretaries and principals.
13.  Treats and note of appreciation to our school janitor.
14.  Spend the day focusing on kindness.  Look people in the eye, smile at everyone, and give compliments generously.
15. Send a care package to someone in need of company this Christmas.
16.  Leave a present with our tip for our waiter/waitress.
17.  Visit a nursing home with homemade cards for the residents.
18.  Give an appreciation gift to our pastor and his wife.
19.  Pass out meal coupons (fully paid for meals), to those who may go hungry that night.
20.  Hide small toys in a park with a note for the kids who find them.
21.  Bring goodies and note of thanks to our local librarians.
22.  Donate food to our local food bank.
23.  Bring goodies to all of our neighbors.
24.  Leave diapers and wipes at a couple of changing stations.

On the 25th, I hope to discuss, celebrate, and praise all the ways that God has worked and been glorified through the month...as well as celebrate the best gift ever given.  His Son.

1 comment:

betty said...

This is so wonderful what you and your family are doing! I like each and everyone of your "projects" over the next few weeks! Truly a blessing for you all!

betty